Frequently Asked Questions
How do I nominate a student for Torch?
Complete a Nomination Form online by January 1. To submit a nomination, nominators must first create an account, and once created they will be directed to the portal where they can submit nominations. If you have already created an account, you can access the portal directly via this link. Please note: You will not be able to save your progress on a nomination. To aid in preparing your nomination, we have created this document with the questions you will be asked to answer as part of the nomination process.
Please help the Torch Scholars Committee view your nominees as individuals by providing a frank and detailed assessment of their strengths and needs. This information will be treated confidentially and used only for the purposes of evaluating the applicant’s appropriateness for our program and Northeastern. You may nominate one or more students for the program.
As a student, how do I apply to Torch?
- Ask a school counselor, teacher, mentor, clergy member, or community worker who knows you well to complete an official nomination form online by January 1.
- Complete Northeastern’s application and submit it online by the university deadline. The essay you write for your Northeastern application will be the same one considered for your Torch candidacy.
- Complete the FAFSA and CSS Profile and submit these forms to Northeastern University by January 1.
What if I have questions or need help with the nomination process?
We’re here to help at any point in the application process. If you are a nominator with questions, please contact Jennifer Schoen, Director of Opportunity Scholarship and Outreach Programs, at 617.373.7705 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How does the Torch Program support its scholars?
Torch is dedicated to supporting students through:
- A full-tuition scholarship that covers tuition, fees, room, board, books, and fees for up to eight undergraduate semesters, as well as all costs for a six-week Summer Immersion Program
- Intensive academic planning and assessments
- In-depth peer and professional mentoring
- One-on-one meetings with academic advisors to develop skills in self-advocacy, communication, study habits, and goal setting
- A wide array of social events that foster group identity and camaraderie
What experiential opportunities do Torch Scholars participate in at Northeastern?
Torch Scholars expand their view of the world by participating in co-op, global, research, and service opportunities at Northeastern University. Supported by the Torch Scholars Program and the Northeastern network, scholars explore their passions and expand their horizons by traveling for study and service through Northeastern’s study abroad programs, participating in Dialogues of Civilizations, working in a wide variety of co-op positions, and more.
Are international students eligible for the Torch Program?
At this time, only U.S. Citizens and permanent residents are eligible for the Torch Program.
Is there a limit to how many students I can nominate for the Torch Program?
There is no limit to how many students nominators can submit for the Torch Program. However, we ask that you only submit one nomination per student.
If I apply Early Decision or Early Action, can I still be considered for the Torch Program?
If a student applies to Northeastern via the Early Decision or Early Action programs, and are admitted, they are no longer eligible for the Torch Program. However, if the student is not admitted during the Early Decision/Early Action rounds, their application will be deferred to the regular decision process, and they will remain eligible for the Torch Program.
Are transfers or current NU students eligible for the Torch Program?
High school seniors who are incoming first-generation college students from low-income households are currently the only students eligible for the Torch Program. Transfer and current Northeastern students are not eligible.
What do I do if I am having trouble accessing the link to nominate a student?
The nomination form for the Torch Program opens in mid-October. Once the form opens, nominators will have until January 1 to submit their nomination. If you are having issues accessing the form, please email email@example.com for assistance.