Torch Has the Power to Change Lives
Torch Scholars have the power to change the world.
Continuing Northeastern’s century-old commitment to educational opportunity, the Torch Scholars Program is a bold and innovative initiative that provides students with the opportunity to explore their passions and expand their global horizons. The program’s nomination and holistic review process identifies bright students from across the country who have already succeeded against the odds, but who have not yet reached their full academic potential.
Torch is dedicated to supporting these talented, first-generation college students through:
- An extensive full-scholarship program that covers tuition, room, board, books, and fees for up to eight undergraduate semesters, as well as all costs for a six-week Summer Immersion Program
- Intensive academic planning and assessments
- In-depth peer and professional mentoring
- One-on-one meetings with academic advisors to develop skills in self-advocacy, communication, study habits, and goal setting
- A wide array of social events that foster group identity and camaraderie
The program is simply unparalleled in its support for first-generation students from diverse backgrounds. Much more than a scholarship, Torch is a comprehensive model for access, retention, and achievement.
Torch Scholars have a drive to succeed—for their families and for themselves—and exhibit a universal commitment to giving back. Our scholars possess the ability and the will to succeed—Torch transforms them into leaders by empowering them to put those qualities into action.
Torch by the Numbers
of Torch Scholars participate in at least two co-ops, giving them 12+ months of full-time work experience
nominees from across the United States vie for the 15 Torch Scholarships each year
estimated service hours completed by Torch Scholars as of June 2022